Friday, March 14, 2008

Man Down!!!

Painful pills to swallow... Beware... Not my usual goofy/moronic post.. Not that anyone is actually reading this...

Only about 2 weeks until lonestar 1/2 ironman and I'm in a 9 line bind. I've been fighting a popping, shifting, loose right knee and I think its finally gone completely. I visited a Dr. in Angleton (small town) not long after the Longhorn 1/2 IM when this all started. He said I had runners knee, and maybe I did because it went away. The marathon came and went with no pain. Then came the track workouts and a new kind of pain started. The pain that's similar to the first injury when I was 17. Went to the Dr. again this time he calls it arthritis (his solution is to stop running) and gives me an anti-inflammatory.

While in Canada I did a few 1 hour hill runs on the treadmill with no pain. OK, I'm happy now, thinking it gone again. Last Wednesday night at the softball game (after I was hit in the back with a line drive) I was up to bat again, made a little blooper past the short stop, when the right foot landed on first base I felt a "pop".... First thought, "Game over"... limped home that night..

Hoping for the best, I took it easy yesterday (AM & PM) changing my PM bike session to a swim. "No flutter kick for you" the Kick Nazi screams... while in the water I try to water run.. Nope, that dog ain't gonna hunt.. nothing is supposed to hurt in the water, I'm pulling my hair out in frustration... this blows....

So today, I have a late morning meeting on a job site close to my house so I sleep in a bit. The knee is done I know it, walking with a limp is unavoidable. Bending my knee with weight on it shoots pain through my body. Walking up stairs on the job site was difficult...

Well, next week I have another appt with a different Dr. I will bring him my x-rays and MRI hopefully if damage occurred after the MRI there will be some previous sign of it so I don't have to take another...

This carries such an empty feeling with it. Choices are limited this weekend and the weather is supposed to be great. I was planning another bike ride to Manvel for a swim then riding home. Walking up stairs is a challenge thus no riding/swimming/running this weekend...

Man down... Man Down...

No Pacing more, No Hammering more... Just sit and watch others Hammer... uhhhhggggg!!

“To the question whether I am a pessimist or an optimist, I answer that my knowledge is pessimistic, but my willing and hoping are optimistic”

Albert Schweitzer...

3 comments:

Bigun said...

you should never train in Canada. Even Canadians don't train there.

Ryan said...

Sorry to hear about your knee.

Sounds like it has been an existing problem right?

I know a couple of people try this
http://www.chirunning.com/shop/home.php

but it is more of just a form correction method to reduce pain from poor running stride.

What about competing as a wheelchair runner?

Or is that kind of disrespectful to run through T1, bike, run from your bike to your chair?

Or how about a Segway for the run?

Jane said...

I raced. I'm dumb. hope my leg doesn't fall off. How's your leg?