Monday, March 31, 2008

Aquabike... Huh??


So this was my first attempt that remotely resembles a triathlon in 2008... Lonestar Triathlon, Uh, except it wasn't a tri.. Whatever it was, who cares, right! No one is reading this stuff anyway. Anyway, I didn't want my entry to serve as just a donation to Keith Jordan (RD) and his crew. I emailed him last week telling him that my knee wasn't letting me run (about 6:30am) and within 10 minutes send replied telling me I was all set for the aquabike.




Its better than nothing so I mentally prepared my simple mind (it didn't take long) for a 2-athlon..






Now, In the pool I'm swimming 1.2 miles in under 30 min.. So I was expecting maybe 32 or 33 in open water... Nope.. there I go thinking again... 38:00 min for the swim... That's still 38 seconds better than my last 1/2 IM swim, but I was not happy to see that on my wrist!!! Don't bother adjusting your screen this picture was taken by my lovely wife (she's got skillz) and NO I wasn't wearing a pink cap. My heat was the last in the water (red caps, thank you very much) although I was in the front of my heat, I was swimming through a sea of pink caps. After the turn at the last buoy it was like the start of the swim all over again. Everyone hitting each other, fighting for position, and I'm a gentleman so if I knocked any of the gals in the head please except my deepest apology... I wasn't having "swim rage" ....





Anyway, I got my act together, made it through T1 (or T-0nly1) and it was off to the races... Yeah right... Was it me or was that crosswind kicking every ones @SS??? I did my best to stay aero because every time I sat up the stretch my 220lb frame was like a sail catching wind. So despite the conditions I was still able to finish in 2:53:31 still better than my 3:02:35 that I did in Austin last year... So I guess I PR'd.. who knows?? It's really kinda weird getting in from the bike, chucking the bike on the rack and calling it quits...




I'm told that I shouldn't be so hard on myself, but I'm thinking that's what makes me faster..




Also, getting schooled by Simon Lessing was actually pretty cool. He passed me (doing the 1/4 iron) and dropped me, all I heard was that cool hum from his rear disk...









Besides all the pro's that showed for the race I heard that the drunk elf that visited us last year during Christmas was also in attendance... See picture below... However his identity wasn't known at first glance... Here he is drunk once again spouting some gibberish about wanting juice.. That's what he calls his sizz-urp... completely unaware of his surroundings and up to no good I'm sure..




In the picture below he is telling my wife about some sob story, every 5 minutes or so he utters "I love you man" and laughs.. Notice the black eye, I don't think he even remembers what the Deal-e-o Yo...




Actually, Easter weekend my old friend Cooter Brown took a shot at the kiddo. It was a lesson to us, dogs will be dogs... Anyway long story short, I was in the 25th mile of my long ride when I got the call that the ER was in the near future. Nothing major, but it was a close call because it was so close to his eye. With the new baby coming in less than 2 months Cooter Brown will be going to live in Austin with my bro. He's been my dog for almost 9 years, I hate to see him go but at least he's still in the family.



7 comments:

Jane said...

holy shit - you're a fast swimmer!

Don said...

Mike, Ran across your blog about the race this past weekend. Good race for all dispite your minor set back. Keith is one of the best in the business. See you in Longhorn... Don Baton Rouge LA
don_edgeconstruct@cox.net

Tarabay said...

Jane.. Thanks, but I want to be faster...

Don.. Thanks, Your right, Keith does a great job... See you in Austin...

pinkgurugal said...

OMG! i'm back and reading what nobody reads! hope the kiddo is better. congrats on lonestar! i wasn't near ready after 5 weeks of travel. see you at CB and I?

KCWoodhead said...

Did you feel a bit like a red-headed step child in the aquabike? I did...talk about the most uneventful "finish line" ever! Oh well, I guess that is what we get for doing 2/3 of 1/2 of an ironman.

Kel and Migs said...

Awww....poor baby!

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.