Thursday, March 13, 2008

Taking One For The Team

Taking one for the team takes on a different meaning as a person gets older. Last night in the local softball (beer league) your truly took one for the team. First a little bit of background, I have mentioned The Hometown Heroes before in a previous blog, but since I'm the only one reading this and there is time to spare today, I'll mention it again.










The Hometown Heroes is made up of Lake Jackson natives and refugees of all sorts. Although it started off as a group of early 20's ex-jock, college flunkies, and community college goers and me (the elder and possibly one of the least mature of the group). Our theme song was "I wanna Rock" and our mission statement " To wreck homes, family's, good driving records, and GPA's; not as individuals but as a collective group of young men" of which none related to me of course..




Over the past few years some of the faces have changed but there are a few constants we stick with. Like "Fight Club" it's somewhat anonymous. So, Constant #1 no real names are used. Thus, I'm "The Doug" as most nicknames don't stick, this one somehow did. Constant #2 although we obviously have a couple superstars on the team everyone is equal, therefor we're all number one. Constant #3, Even though excessive beer drinking isn't required, it is preferred. Partaking of the sauce isn't my thing, although from time to time its done in protest.



Please excuse the freckles. Last night I took one for the team. Let me set the stage, considering my long ball skills, Doug (batting last in the order) popped a little base hit to center and was sitting on first. So, the Hero's lead off with a lefty who hits a line drive directly at my (Doug's) manhood. So a quick on my toes move put me in the fetal position. Doug's manhood was safe, the ball stayed fair, and little birds and stars were scene moving in a clockwise motion about Doug's noggin... Somehow, Doug got to second fell on the ground and whined like a newborn. Once in the laughter slowed, the shooter on the grassy knoll was nice enough to sign the wound, pat me on the bottom, and let me know that "The Doug"took one for the team like a man...
I slept well knowing the boys weren't let down last night... woo-sah...

"I dunno. I never smoked any Astroturf." -
Tug McGraw, asked whether he preferred grass or Astroturf



No comments: