Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Triathlon Imagery

Triathlon imagery! What a wonderful thing, I guess? However, my mind is simple, almost Neanderthal like. It processes information slowly and without much reaction. Therefore, over the last few months, concepts like imagery and thought control have passed through it but as usual, no light bulb turned on. I’ve been waiting for this chain reaction similar to that of a grand finally at a 4th of July firework display.




I’m kidding it’s not that bad. I’ve heard about imagery before and how the best athletes are able to train and perform while blocking out negative thoughts. Concentration is difficult when waking up early to get in a workout then putting in a full day at work and trying to juggle a family, routine duties, and more training in the evening, day after day…. How about the thoughts of pain and boredom on those long swims? Or a conflict at work that replays in your head on a long run? All of which are taking away from the training session and the future performance. Ok, so what’s the solution? A higher confidence level? A life without tension, anger, depression, or chaos? A better job? Excessive amounts of descressionary cash? Who knows??? Maybe there is someone out there with a some back ground on the subject who can “learn” me something (Jane)(Oh wait, no one is reading this). Until then I will just hope that finding pleasure in training and racing will be all the motivation I need. As soon as my wife suggests that I need to see a therapist will be the day I go pro, LexaPro that is… Deep thinking isn’t my specialty (because I have no specialty, or the mental capacity to have a deep thought) I’m exhausted at this sad attempt to achieve a meaningful thought. HUH... once again I dont think that makes any sense..

Now, As I mentioned in my last post, we (Diet Coke and I) BROKE up. I was shackled to the wonderful silver can and now I’ve been freed from the Dungeness hells of aspartame! This leads me into my next battle dealing with a horrible accusation someone (Ryan) made about me in the comments of my last post. Although I have set some weight loss goals that are achievable anything further would require the amputation of both of my legs and arms. Remember the Black Knight? "Tis mearly a flesh wound" !





Never trust spiritual leader who cannot dance. ~
Mr. Miyagi


3 comments:

Jane said...

Glad you shook off your fix for diet coke. It's evil stuff. Don't eat anything that ants wouldn't eat.

I'm a secret monty python dork-fan

Oly said...

Thought can be over rated when it comes to sports.

Center.

Be one with your body and you will catch your fly.

Think later.

Ryan said...

I don't know if it is imagery or reality the way that I process an upcoming workout. More so the Pace less Hammer more philosophy. I know that when I do my Hammer More workout, it are going to hurt and take 100% concentration to be effective. So starting the night before I know it is coming, the anticipation builds, and I finally need to get it over before I explode. During the workout I keep saying that "I knew it was going to be this hard to maintain this effort." On long runs, find a good podcast or some old school big hair bands to rock out real loud, then you will forget you even have a job. Hammer More!