Tuesday, October 2, 2007

So, I have 2 serious addictions at the moment, and maybe a few dozen problems. I’ll only discuss my addictions because I’m sure no one is interested in hearing about my problems with my Bloodhound (Sanford) that enjoys chewing on 2x4’s… Number 1 addiction, DIET COKE also known to me as liquid crack, as I can’t seem to get away from the stuff. Number 2 addiction, Triathlon… One year ago I was 40lbs heavier, I couldn’t run a 10 minute mile and 50 yards in the pool was pure torture! Today, I can’t force myself to properly taper my workouts before my Half Ironman this weekend.. This past Saturday I started my traveling to Camp Bondsteel in Kosovo. This is truly an amazing place. For the last 2 nights I’ve watched soldiers running the hills of the camp, and I couldn’t resist the temptation to run with the herd, even though I’m supposed to be tapering. So, as I was getting back to my room/container I see them starting their run. I did the superman phone booth thing, within 3 min I was on their tail. I didn’t stretch, I didn’t get a drink of water, and if I didn’t have elastic shoe laces I wouldn’t have tied my shoes. The route is a little over 3 miles per lap, similar to memorial park, only without the monster hills. It was a beautiful afternoon giving a great view of the hills and mountains that surround the camp not to mention the small villages that border the camp. This has been such a cool experience to run in this environment, so much to look at, before I knew it I had run over 6 miles in under 50 min. Maybe to a pro this would be a taper workout, but to me that’s “doing work”….

1 comment:

pinkgurugal said...

congrats for joining the blog world!

congrats on your new addition, and your upcoming half!

and yes people DO read!