Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Nothing to Brag About

Its been about a week since my last post and nothing extraordinary has moved me or knocked me on my ass. So, I guess an uneventful few weeks is nice for a change. I've stepped up my training and it feels great. Running 3 times a week for 22 miles on avg and gradually adding to it. Swimming between 9000 and 12000 yards a week, adding only speed and faster intervals in the upcoming weeks. Cycling, (once again not meeting my goals) I've mounted "The Dude" only twice in the last few weeks, although I’ve been hitting the stationary hard in the morning workouts.I have a long weekend coming up so I'll try to get in a couple rides with some hill repeats. The knee has been giving me a bit of discomfort so I'll take it easy on the running, it could just be the temperamental weather and the barometric changes that come with it. Enough of that mess, no one cares, I know...

Last weekend we took a little road trip to Lafayette, to see some friends and take the kid to his first Mardi Gras Parade.

Mardi Gras in Lafayette is nothing like the big show in New Orleans. Its family oriented, the drunks are polite and the flashing doesn’t exist. The cops are in abundance to see that a family friendly celebration runs smoothly.

Before the trip, I found myself checking out mapmyrun.com to plan a few runs. Its official, I'm a slave to training. Sunday, didn’t offer me an opportunity to do anything as we spent the morning visiting with our dear friends that we only get to see about twice a year. The afternoon was spent on the road, as captive to Interstate 10 it gave the opportunity to catch up on some magazines that have been piling up. Then we got home just in time to make it to a Super Bowl Party, what a game huh? After the game I was a bit tipsy and it wouldn’t have been wise to attempt a run in that state of inebriation. Therefore, Sunday was a dud, and the guilt piled up on me for getting nothing done, thus the assumption of a tri-slave. Ah Tri-Slave, could it be the blog name I have been looking for?

Something came up the over the weekend with a tri-friend, he/she was going into detail about the swimming drills that made up the workout they were doing. Drills? Drills? This person has difficulty swimming 150 yards w/o stopping and they want to do drills (one arm, catch-up, pulling? I listen and I keep my mouth shut (in protest of course) not wanting to be that guy who offers advise without reasoning. I'm not a coach it its not a goal of mine to be one, but should I offer my opinion to this person that they should forget out the drills and build some endurance before working on technique? Or should I just shut up and blow him/her out of the water at the next race? You make the call...


Robin: "Holy molars! Am I ever glad I take good care of my teeth!"
Batman: "True. You owe your life to dental hygiene."

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Have you ever thought that "this" person is simply trying to achieve 150 yards with perfect form?

Sure anyone can swim 3000 yrds without stopping, but can you initiate the catch phase at exactly the right moment on every stroke for 150 yards? I wish that I had that dedication.

If anyone ever asks me for advice, which is very rare, my usual response is:

you are dropping your elbow (swimming)

your body is rocking too much side to side (cycling)

just not running fast enough (running)

I had a "mentor" in my early Tri days, last year by the way. All kinds of crazy "advice" was thrown my way. All the crap ends when you race the same race and win by more than 20 min for a sprint distance. Advice stopped ;)

Tarabay said...

Thanks, You said it all... I wont give any advice, but I shall listen. Next race its on like Donkey Kong!!!

pinkgurugal said...

drills are good. but drowning because you couldn't make the distance is much mal.
tell him over a few drinks...truth serums are the best...